MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF THE FEDERATIVE REPUBLIC OF BRAZIL AND THE GOVERNMENT OF THE KINGDOM OF SWEDEN ON PARTNERSHIP AND DIALOGUE ON GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT
The Government of the Federative Republic of Brazil
The Government of the Kingdom of Sweden
(hereinafter referred to as the ‘Participants’),
The continuing need to promote global growth that produces sustainable benefits for the poor, to reduce poverty and to achieve the Millennium Development Goals;
The good relations that already exist between the Participants, sharing a common interest in promoting development, human rights, peace and stability internationally, and realising the mutual benefits of further strengthening bilateral dialogue and cooperation;
The significant success that Brazil has demonstrated in tackling poverty, hunger, inequality and social exclusion within its borders, and its achievements in international development cooperation;
Sweden’s strong commitment to poverty reduction and the Millennium Development Goals and its continued work in support of these through multilateral channels and programmes in low income countries,
Have reached the following understanding:
1. The Participants hereby decide to develop a partnership and dialogue on global development. The aim of the partnership will be to cooperate to promote global poverty reduction.
2. The partnership between the Participants will include a focus on poverty reduction in low income countries, seek to encourage an increased emphasis on delivering results for poor people, encourage the flow of information between development partners and promote mutual learning.
3. The partnership will take into consideration the outcomes set out in the Busan Partnership for Effective Development Cooperation agreed at the IV High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness, building on a foundation of mutual respect and acknowledgement of respective comparative advantages, competencies and experiences.
4. The Participants will aim to encourage high level policy dialogue and engagement on global development issues that may include:
i) dialogue to explore opportunities for development cooperation and mutual learning in jointly selected priority areas;
ii) operational engagement and information-sharing in promotion of development effectiveness;
iii) facilitating exchange of information, knowledge and experience and encourage research and analysis on global development.
5. Priority areas for the dialogue on global development and cooperation could include the Millennium Development Goals and the post-2015 agenda, gender equality and the empowerment of women, inclusive economic growth and sustainable development, food security and climate change, and an increased focus on result orientation in the multilateral development system.
6. The Participants intend to hold regular meetings with the aim of deciding on a Plan of Action that lays down future activities under this partnership. The focal points for this partnership will be the Brazilian Cooperation Agency of the Ministry of External Relations and the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs in coordination with the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
7. The Participants agree that this Memorandum of Understanding shall be without prejudice to their international rights and obligations and not legally binding.
8. This Memorandum of Understanding will come into effect on the date of its signature.
9. This Memorandum of Understanding may be terminated at any time through diplomatic channels.
Signed in Stockholm on the 29th of August 2012, in two originals, in the Portuguese and English languages, both texts being equally valid.