ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES AGREEMENT BETWEEN BRAZILIAN FEDERAL AGENCY FOR SUPPORT AND EVALUATION OF GRADUATE EDUCATION (CAPES/MEC), THE NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR SCIENTIFIC AND TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT (CNPQ - MCTI), AND CHINA SCHOLARSHIP COUNCIL (CSC) IN ORDER TO IMPLEMENT DEGREE SCHOLARSHIPS IN CHINA UNDER THE PROGRAM “SCIENCE WITHOUT BORDERS”
The Brazilian Federal Agency for Support and Evaluation of Graduate Education, hereinafter referred to as “CAPES”, a foundation located at SBN Quadra 02 Bloco L Lote 6, 4º andar - CEP: 70040-020, Brasilia - DF, herein represented by its President, Jorge Almeida Guimarães, RG 5579770-2 and the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), public foundation instituted by the Law nº 6.129, of November 6, 1974, linked to the Ministry of Science and Technology – MCTI, of the Federative Republic of Brazil, with headquarters in Brasilia, DF, at SHIS QI 1 Conjunto B CEP 71605-190, registered at CNPJ/MF under the number 33.654.831/0001-36, in this act represented by its President Glaucius Oliva, and CPF in the 048563847-91, and China Scholarship Council –, hereinafter called CSC, located at Level 13, Building A3 No.9 Chegongzhuang Avenue Beijing, P.R.C, 100044, Beijing, herein represented by its Secretary General Liu Jinghui, solve decide to sign this agreement to implement a program of scholarships for undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students and researchers, including sandwich degree program at Chinese institutions, as part of the Brazilian government program called “Science without Borders”, hereinafter called PROGRAM. The cooperation between CAPES, CNPq and CSC, hereinafter referred to as PARTIES, object of this agreement is subjected to the laws and regulations in force in Brazil and in China, and shall be performed in strict compliance with the terms and conditions stipulated and agreed by each Part.
ARTICLE I – OBJECT
The object of the program is to support Brazilian students taking part in undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate studies in Chinese institutions. The parties will determine which individuals are eligible to participate in the Program according to academic performance in Brazil and available placement in Chinese institutions. Initially, at least 100 scholarships will be, yearly, granted by CAPES and CNPq for enrolled Brazilian students in undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate courses related to the Program priority subject areas.
ARTICLE II - OBLIGATIONS OF THE PARTIES
In order to achieve the program goals, the PARTIES shall use their best efforts to meet the commitments as specified below:
OBLIGATIONS OF CAPES AND OF CNPq:
- a) Publicize the program in Brazil;
- b) Participate in the selection of candidates;
- c) Allocate resources to pay (i) monthly stipend, (ii) health insurance, (iii) settling in allowance and (iv) travel allowance to brazilian students, plus tuition and academic fees when there shall be no waives;
- d) Transfer to CSC the administration costs at 600 US dollars per enrolled student per year.
OBLIGATIONS OF CSC:
- a) Publicize the program in China;
- b) Participate in the selection of candidates;
- c) Provide placement and academic supervision in China. It is assured that CSC will:
c.1) Allocate the student in academic programs consistent with his/her current level in Brazil;
c.2) Make the maximum effort to obtain reduction or full exemption from payment of tuition and fees;
c.3) Provide intensive language courses, when necessary;
c.4) Provide visa advising.
c.5) Pay tuition and health insurance fee with funds provided by CAPES or CNPq for this purpose.
ARTICLE III - SELECTION OF CANDIDATES
The guidelines for the selection process will be announced by the PARTIES, in public calls for proposals.
The Program will be administered by the Joint Committee CAPES/ CNPq / CSC, headed by the Director of International Relations of CAPES, CNPq and CSC.
SELECTION OF CANDIDATES
The candidates will be selected according to the following criteria:
- a) Applicants will be recruited in open national competitions in which will be eligible students from public and private institutions enrolled in for undergraduate and graduate and post-graduate courses related to the Program priority subject areas;
- b) The placement of approved candidates in China institutions will be based on academic match and financial availability, as established by the Joint Committee CAPES / CNPq/ CSC.
- c) CSC will make available to students an online application that must be completed by the candidates pre-selected by CAPES and/or CNPq.
- d) After the application deadline, all required documentation and language proficiency test scores will undergo a technical assessment made by CSC, which will determine the best for undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate course to the student in a Chinese institution, based on the goals of study, academic performance and test scores. After the technical evaluation, CSC will approve the eligible candidates and will provide a list for CAPES or CNPq scholarship.
- e) CSC will advise students about pre-academic options for intensive language study, when necessary.
ARTICLE IV - FINANCE
The financial resources necessary for the operation of this program will be covered by CAPES or CNPq. If necessary, the contract may be extended.
ARTICLE V – ACCOUNTABILITY
CSC shall report within 60 (sixty) days after the end of this agreement, including information about the amount of transferred resources; the income from financial investments and its general expenses; plus:
- Technical Report indicating the compliance of the object,
- Annual financial report until February 28 of the following year, indicating the used values as well as the balance to be applied in the following year.
ARTICLE VI – VALIDITY
This agreement shall come into effect on the date of its signature until the end of the Program. This agreement will remain effective from 2012 to 2014 or until the necessary period to fulfill the schedule and the activities agreed by parties.
ARTICLE VII – TERMINATION
This Agreement may be discontinued by any of the parties, providing that one party formally notifies the other at least 60 (sixty) days before the termination is to come into effect.
Any termination as such shall not affect already implemented projects and scholarships, except when both Parties jointly agree otherwise.
ARTICLE VIII – FINAL PROVISIONS
The parties shall not be responsible for the non-fulfillment of commitments in case of force majeure. Issues not explicitly covered in the text of this Agreement shall be jointly solved by the Parties.
Executed by CAPES, CNPq and CSC on the 21st of June, 2012, written in Chinese, English and Portuguese. Each version has two officially duplicated copies. All versions are equally binding. However, if any differences arise between the parties, the English version of this agreement shall be used as reference.
 Fonte: Dado do * MOFCOM e do ** MDIC.
Razão%=Valor da divergência/Valor do comércio bilateral, nesse caso os dados do comércio bilateral a partir dos dados da (*) China e do (**) Brazil.
 Valor da divergência no comércio para o leste = Importações brasileiras da China – Exportações chinesas para o Brasil.
 %=Valor da divergência / Correspondente valor de exportação, da mesma forma a seguir.
 Participação%=Valor da divergência na posição/Valor da divergência no Capítulo, da mesma forma a seguir.
 Valor 0.00 significa valor menor que 10 mil US$, da mesma forma a seguir.
 Valor da divergência no comércio para o oeste = Importações chinesas do Brasil - Exportações brasileiras para a China.