LETTER OF INTENT BETWEEN THE BRAZILIAN SPACE AGENCY (AGÊNCIA ESPACIAL BRASILEIRA) AND THE ITALIAN SPACE AGENCY (ASI) TO EXPLORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR CO-OPERATION IN NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL SPACE TECHNOLOGIES AND APPLICATIONS
The Brazilian Space Agency
Italian Space Agency
HAVING REGARD to the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and other Celestial Bodies, done the 27 January 1967, and other multilateral space agreements to which both Brazil and Italy are Parties to;
HAVING REGARD to the Agreement for Cooperation between the Government of the Republic of Italy and the Government of the Federative Republic of Brazil, signed in Rome on December 12, 1997 and the First Program Implementing the Technical and Scientific Cooperation for the period 2008 – 2010;
CONSIDERING the interest of both Agencies to intensify their collaboration in space science, research and technology, and the positive contribution of space cooperation to promote social and economic development in their countries and in the international community;
WISHING to further their cooperation in different areas of exploration and use of outer space for peaceful purposes and to establish mechanisms to facilitate and intensify such cooperation
Convene on the following:
1. The purpose of this Letter of Intent (LOI) is to explore the potential for mutually beneficial co-operation in national and international space programmes in technological/industrial development, exchange of data and practical applications of space technologies.
2. The Agencies have preliminarily identified the following areas for the implementation of these collaborative program:
(a) Space science;
(b) Earth observation research and applications, in particular environmental monitoring, meteorology, geodesy, disaster management;
(c) space communications;
(d) stratospheric activities;
(e) education and training of personnel.
3. Cooperation under item 2 may be carried out in the following ways:
(a) the exchange of experts to participate in joint studies and activities;
(b) the holding of joint conferences and symposia;
(c) the promotion of educational activities in space science and technology,
(d) the promotion of contacts between institutes and industries acting in the space sector,
(e) the consideration of possible joint projects,
4. The Agencies shall consult as appropriate on matters of common interest in the exploration and use of outer space in the agenda of the meetings of international bodies.
5. The Agencies shall encourage international cooperation in the study of legal questions of mutual interest, which may arise in the exploration and use of outer space.
6. The Agencies agree that this LOI does not constitute any commitment of resources of either party and each party will pursue the goals set out above on best effort and good will basis using its own resources as opportune.
Done in Rome, on November 11 2008, in English language.